Kasteel Engelenburg is a manor house and a 230 ha estate located in Brummen, in the Dutch province of Gelderland. Our castle is a national monument.
Located amidst elegant vistas of landscaped gardens, old trees in a private forest, the 230 hectare estate of Kasteel Engelenburg dates back to the medieval centuries. Destroyed in the 80 year war by the Spanish troops led by Count Hendrik van den Berg. Jacob Schimmelpenninck van der Oye II rebuild the castle and brought it back to the former glory. In 1591 Crown Prince Maurits stayed at Engelenburg Castle during the battle of the IJssel, which confirms the importance of the house and it´s family. In 1828 the castle was substantially restored and rebuild to a convenient manor house with hand-carved fireplaces, high ceilings and sumptuous rooms.
Engelenburg Castle has been used as a private manor house until the second world war. As from 1947 the Twentsche Bank bought the estate and used the manor as a holiday destination for their staff. In 1988 Engelenburg was extensively refurbished and transformed into a hotel, restaurant and conference centre.
The facade is symmetrical and consists of seven bays. The castle is surrounded by a moat for protection and in the 19th century extended to create the English gardens presenting an idealized view of nature, including shrubberies with gravelled walks, tree plantations to satisfy botanical curiosity, and flowers in skirts of sweeping planted beds.
Among the outbuildings include a 17th century coach house north of the driveway, which was rebuilt in the 19th century and forms a pedant of the 19th century conservatpry which is on the south side of the avenue , so look to the left for whom the castle. Both buildings, like the main whitewashed and covered with a hipped roof.
The driveway from the castle offered, as usual in the time of Schimmelpenninck, a visual axis at a characteristic point, in this case the tower Oude- or St. Pancratius Church.